by Jyl Steinback
Easy | Gluten Free | 6 Servings
The addition of lentils adds a protein punch to this Italian style tomato soup.
- 1 c dry lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 c carrots, chopped
- 1 c celery, chopped
- 1 c onion, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 28 oz. low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 c water
- 14.5 oz. can Italian recipe stewed tomatoes with oregano and basil, do not drain
1. Gather all ingredients.
2. Combine all ingredients in slow cooker and mix lightly.
3. Cover and cook on low heat for 10-12 hours or high heat for 5-6 hours.
4. Remove bay leaf before serving.
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 medium onion
- 2 garlic cloves
Seasonings and Spices
- Italian seasoning
- bay leaf
- 2 14 oz. cans low sodium vegetable broth
- 14.5 oz. can Italian recipe stewed tomatoes with oregano and basil
- dry lentils
Nutrition Per Serving 170 calories, 0.5g total fat, 0g sat fat, 135mg sodium, 32g carbohydrates, 6g fiber, 8g sugar, 10g protein
Tip or fact: There are four main categories of lentils: brown, green, red/yellow, and specialty. Brown lentils are the most common variety.